From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:10:56
1 >>>>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > Where do we put amavis's home directory?
4 > [...]
5
6 > 3 /home/amavis also seems fine to me, except for the fact that it's a
7 > QA violation to install there.
8
9 > Note that we could always set system users' home directories to
10 > /home/whatever. It has only become a QA violation with GLEP81 because
11 > the eclass calls keepdir on the user's home directory.
12
13 > Should option (3) be viable, or do I go back to the drawing board?
14
15 Chances are that /home is site specific, e.g. with a special backup
16 policy, or shared between many hosts via NFS. So IMHO /home is off
17 limits for the package manager.
18
19 Your original idea of placing it somewhere under /var/lib sounds just
20 right.
21
22 Ulrich