From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Amount of useflags enabled by default
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:03:54
1 El vie, 23-10-2009 a las 22:54 +0300, Petteri Räty escribió:
2 > Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 > >
4 > > In addition, i see a trend to enabled more more more USE flags (either over profiles or via IUSE
5 > > +flag). Whats the reason for forcing a big load of default enabled USE flags on every user including
6 > > more dependencies, more compile time, more wasted disk space and more possible vulnerabilities
7 > > except some users, who complain about a missing feature and are not able to think and enable a USE
8 > > flag for that feature?
11 > One possible reason is that our packages should follow upstream policy
12 > and maybe upstreams usually like to keep things enabled rather than
13 > disabled.
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 > Petteri
20 I don't see any problem in enabling some USE flags by default but,
21 maybe, would be interesting to have a place where people could consult
22 why some USEs are enabled and, specially, disabled by default.
23
24 The problem is where to write that information :-/ (into the ebuild,
25 into metadata file...)
26
27 Best regards