From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gcc 3.0.4 installed system
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 05:14:42
1 Changing the profile in /etc/make.profile to default-1.0-gcc3 should
2 make you bootstrap against gcc3 instead.
3
4 On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 05:29, Preston A. Elder wrote:
5 > Personally, I'd be very interested to know how you did this 'from
6 > scratch'.
7 >
8 > I myself have done this from the post-bootstrap (but pre emerge system)
9 > stage on, but I cant bootstrap with 3.0.x, why?
10 >
11 > Well, the image the ISO installs has many applications on it, not linked
12 > statically (eg. tar, etc) -- compiling gcc3.0.4 works fine, but as soon
13 > as it then compiles glibc 2.2.5 and installs it, nothing else works.
14 >
15 > The utilities on the install image look for glibc 2.2.5 compiled with
16 > gcc 2.95.x. So until there is an install image that has statically
17 > linked binaries on it, I dont see how a bootstrap can be achieved using
18 > 3.0.x compilers.
19 >
20 > I too, however, have installed a 3.0.x based system. I did the
21 > bootstrap on 2.95.3, then first thing after bootstrap, I merged gcc
22 > 3.0.4, and then did my emerge system. As Geert said, a few problems
23 > along the way, but not many. I too made patches for all the problems I
24 > found, I submitted them to Geert. The patches I made are ALL backward
25 > compatable to 2.95.3 (I believe, I've not tested this). But then, I
26 > could also have compiled a different package set than he did.