From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] post install questions
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 14:55:28
1 * scott worley (folokai@×××××××××.net) wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just installed the x686 rc5 iso. After running initscripts-install I
5 > installed the linux-source package but did not recompile the kernel at this
6 > point. Finished with grub setup.
7 >
8 > Gentoo booted but I have the following two issues.
9 >
10 > 1. No modules will load. Missing symbols.
11 > I recompiled the kernel but still had the same problems. depmod -a built a
12 > modules.dep file but complained about missing symbols. I've build linux
13 > kernels on several other distro's without encountering this problem. Worked
14 > around it by downloading 2.4.6 from kernel.org. Modules now load OK.
17 Did you move or nuke your old 2.4.4-ac9 dir in /lib/modules before doing
18 'make modules_install' during your re-compile. This can cause issues when
19 depmod -a is run automatically against System.map (in 2.4 series).
20
21 > 2. /usr/portage is an empty directory. Therefore, the /etc/make.profile
22 > symlink is broken. I can't install packages from the CD. What files are
23 > supposed to be in /usr/portage other than the packages subdir?
24
25 With a net connection:
26 # cd /usr/portage
27 # emerge rsync
28 << wait >>
29
30 will update your portage tree with the current dose of ebuilds. After that
31 you can 'emerge /a-section/a-program/a-program-*-.ebuild' away.
32
33 There are some very useful docs at gentoo.org
34
35 Rgds,