From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 16:55:36
1 > On Jun 23, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On 2018-06-23 04:57, Marty E. Plummer wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 09:50:50PM -0500, Marty E. Plummer wrote:
5 >>> So, as you may be aware I've been doing some work on moving bzip2 to an
6 >>> autotools based build. Recently I've ran into app-crypt/mhash, which is
7 >>> in a semi-abandoned state (talking with the maintainer on twitter atm),
8 >>> and I was thinking it may be a good idea to set up a project for keeping
9 >>> these semi-abandoned and really-abandoned libraries and projects up to
10 >>> date and such.
11 >>>
12 >>> Basically, an upstream for packages who's upstream is either
13 >>> uncontactable or is otherwise not accepting bug fixes and patches. So
14 >>> far I can only think of app-crypt/mhash and app-arch/bzip2 but I'm sure
15 >>> there are others in this state.
16 >>>
17 >> Or... call it proxy-upstream, to be in line with the current proxy-maint
18 >> setup?
19 >
20 > Please do not call it proxy-*.
21 > The invented word proxymaintainer and proxiedmaintainer are not usefull.
22 > They get always mixed, and are not understood outside of Gentoo.
23 > assistant developer or trainee developer would have been much more useful.
24
25 Until we have a better name, why not call it the GPL project? GPL meaning:
26
27 Gentoo
28 POSIX
29 Libraries
30
31 Misunderstandings from the obvious acronym collision aside, I think the name GPL Project would be more appealing to outsiders than “proxy-libs”, which I agree would be misunderstood in the worst possible ways.
32 >
33 > Beside the naming I like the idea, that you want to take care for all
34 > abandoned libs.
35 >
36 > Please note, that you can not generate more manpower by creating a
37 > project. In 2015 I calculated
38 In the case of creating a new upstream for key libraries shared by distributions, I disagree. As long as other distribution maintainers get on board, the deduplication of effort will result in more man power.
39 >
40 > =====================================================
41 >
42 > (Number of developers) / (Number of Projects) < 1.4
43 >
44 > =====================================================
45 >
46 > Which explains, why most projects today are run by mostly one active person.
47 >
48 > If you find an important library, where upstream is dead, fork it and
49 > take responsibility for it.
50 I will call this point 1 of yours.
51
52 That sounds like what this project is intended to do.
53 >
54 > It makes no sense to make a pool of dead and important software and
55 > delegate the responsibility to a team where nobody really knows the
56 > software.
57 I will call this point 2 of yours.
58
59 It depends on the importance of the software.
60 >
61 > Better pick a library, communicate with maintainers of the other
62 > distributions and fork it. Keep the library alive in the fork.
63 I feel like this is the same as 1.
64 >
65 > It is important for the security to let dead projects die.
66 I feel like this is 2, and that it contradicts 1.
67 >
68 > --
69 > Best,
70 > Jonas