From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:43:40
1 On Saturday 28 February 2004 12:03, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > maillog: 28/02/2004-09:22:09(+0900): Jason Stubbs types
3 >
4 > > Basically, I'm suggesting that config files that have never been changed
5 > > be removed as they will be restored upon reinstallation. Anything that
6 > > has changed shouldn't be removed and anything that was added since
7 > > installation won't be tracked anyway.
8 >
9 > Currently, when a new merge would overwrite a CONFIG_PROTECTed file, it
10 > creates a file named ._cfg????_originalfile if the file has been changed.
11 >
12 > What if something similar is made when unmerging packages? Unmerging a
13 > CONFIG_PROTECTed file that has not been changed removes the file right
14 > away. If it was changed, an empty ._cfg????_file is created, with some way
15 > to distinguish that it is supposed to express deletion (setting the sticky
16 > bit for example). etc-update can be used to delete the file later, after it
17 > is updated to recognize empty sticky files as a pointer to delete the
18 > original file.
19
20 Yep, that's definitely one problem. Another I thought of was when unmerging a
21 package that provides an init script that has not yet been stopped. Seems
22 like there are several issues that need to be thought through. Thanks for the
23 input.
24
25 Regards,
26 Jason Stubbs