From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 23:10:08
1 On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 12:41:50AM +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >>> Breaking EAPI=0 via pushing slot deps in isn't much of an option in
4 > >>> my opinion; usual "needs to have been on release media for at least 6
5 > >> We can push for an EAPI=1 == (EAPI=0 + slot deps)...
6 > >
7 > > Can, yep, although that was originally blocked by "EAPI=0 must be
8 > > defined", which folks seem to have backed off on.
9 >
10 > Not sure if slot deps themselves could even replace version ranges hacks
11 > without also solving bug 4315 (native version ranges) in all cases. IMHO
12 > it should be possible at least to specify slot+usual version limit, to
13 > make it worth EAPI bump.
14 >
15 > > One issue with adding EAPI=1 having just slot deps is that it skips
16 > > out on some long term changes intended- default src_install for
17 >
18 > So what, longer term changes could wait for EAPI=2. Why not make
19 > experience with EAPI bumping with something smaller for a start, instead
20 > of trying to make one big bump that will bring all changes we can think
21 > of now, but will be implemented only in 2010...
22
23 A 101 small little bumps results in a general pain in the ass for
24 ebuild devs; if a change is ready to go for EAPI=1 (whether
25 implemented now, or bloody simple), and folks *agree to it*, then it
26 should go in.
27
28 I'm not advocating waiting for every little thing to be shoved in.
29 That said, there are lots of minor tweaks that have been desired, but
30 haven't been implementable since they would break backwards
31 compatibility and no versioning scheme existed.
32
33 I've got a list floating around somewhere of the specifics, but top of
34 the head-
35
36 1) killing DEPEND/RDEPEND autosetting once and for all
37 2) shift the default phase funcs into a fake eclass; basically the
38 base_src_compile example in the previous email.
39 3) default src_install (currently is empty)
40 4) *potentially* chunking up src_compile into src_configure and
41 src_compile.
42 5) slightly addressed via #2, a 'prepare phase' for patching and other
43 crap. Not a huge fan, but it's also not something I'm pushing.
44 6) drop useq/hasq
45 7) whatever api additions required to remove the need for raw vdb
46 access by ebuilds (contents, IUSE, and USE seem to be the primary ones
47 atm till use deps are available).
48 8) potential, although it requires work- glep33. I'd probably be
49 willing to do the portage modifications for that one; upshot of it is
50 that it allows breaking eclass api as needed, further reorganizes
51 their on disk layout so signing/manifests can sanely be integrated.
52
53 So... #8 is slightly large admittedly. Rest are pretty damn minor,
54 bit of discussion required, but minimal real work to code it- stuff
55 like that, no reason *not* to slide it into eapi=1.
58 > Now it may look like I contradict myself saying to bump ASAP but not
59 > without solving bug 4315 first. But I see slot deps without limits only
60 > half of a feature.
61
62 So far, the syntax I've seen for 4315 has made me want to club baby
63 seals, hit the hash pipe, and make a run for the presidency...
64
65 Offhand, majority of the tree issues can be addressed via slot deps-
66 the remaining chunks that can't, can be addressed via a slightly
67 smarter resolver combined with folks using blockers- simple example,
68 need >=1.3 < 2.0 for a non-slotted package, use ">=1.3 !>2.0". Can
69 invert it to "<2.0 !<1.3" if you prefer, although the latter is
70 slightly preferable on the offchance the package some day becomes
71 slotted.
72
73 Granted, it's not perfect- point is it's actually doable now without
74 format changes.
75
76 Other question there is how many ebuilds in the tree actually *need*
77 this, beyond just slot deps.
78
79 Either way, folks ought to chime in...
80 ~harring