From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:10:43
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:46:14 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
4 >> hasufell wrote:
5 >>> > A version bump plus cleaning up older ebuilds will be considered one
6 >>> > logical change, I suppose?
7 >>>
8 >>> I'd consider it two logical changes ...
9 >>> But I don't have a strong opinion on that
10 >>
11 >> I do - I think this is really important. Having clean history makes a
12 >> huge difference for anyone who wants to use that history.
13 >>
14 >> One argument against those clean professional development practices
15 >> that comes up over and over is that it takes more time...
16 >> but since git makes committing so easy usually the difference isn't
17 >> very big, and the payoff when you benefit in the future is quite
18 >> significant.
19 >
20 > ++
21 >
22 > A git commit is virtually instantaneous since it is entirely local.
23
24 Unlike CVS, git commit != git push, and understanding that is vital to
25 effective us of git /as/ /git/. Commit is local and fast; it HAS to be
26 to encourage single-logical-change commits. But you can separately
27 commit one or a dozen or a dozen hundred logical changes as part of a
28 single set or a few sets of commits and push them all at once, /just/
29 once.
30
31 Devs doing gentoo all day could easily do one or two pushes a day, with
32 many commits in each. Those with less time might do the same work over
33 several days or a week and might push just once or twice that week, if
34 none of the changes are time-critical enough to be worth a more urgent
35 push.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman