From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 23:40:04
1 W dniu pią, 20.10.2017 o godzinie 18∶42 -0400, użytkownik Anton Molyboha
2 napisał:
3 > On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Hanno Böck <hanno@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 21:08:40 +0200
8 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > > manifest-hashes = SHA512 SHA3_512
11 > > >
12 > > > Counterproposal: Just use SHA512.
13 > > >
14 > > > There isn't any evidence that any SHA2-based hash algorithm is going to
15 > > > be broken any time soon. If that changes there will very likely be
16 > > > decades of warning before a break becomes practical.
17 > > >
18 > > > Having just one hash is simpler and using a well supported one like
19 > > > SHA512 may make things easier than using something that's still not
20 > > > very widely supported.
23 > > Yet having more than one lets you match make sure nobody hijacked your
24 > > manifest file when an attack vector is inevitably discovered for the old
25 > > new algorithm (whether SHA2, SHA3, or BLAKE2), because you'll be able to
26 > > confirm the file is the same one that matched the old checksum in addition
27 > > to the new one.
30 > Would it make sense then to support several hashes but let the user
31 > optionally turn off the verification of some of them, depending on the
32 > user's security vs performance requirements?
35 I won't block anyone from implementing such an option but I won't spend
36 my time on it either. However, if you believe verifying two checksums
37 could be a problem, then I have serious doubts if you hardware is
38 capable of building anything.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny