From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>, Sam James <sam@g.o>
Cc: binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:33:10
1 On 2/23/21 12:05 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 2/23/21 11:46 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 2/20/21 8:17 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >>> IUSE_RUNTIME will obviously introduce conditionals in binary package
5 >>> dependencies, but we should welcome these conditionals because they will
6 >>> provide useful flexibility.
7 >>>
8 >>> I think IUSE_RUNTIME will be a very nice feature to have for project
9 >>> binhost, since it will allow binary package dependencies to behave with
10 >>> flexibility that more closely resembles the flexibility of ebuild
11 >>> dependencies.
12 >>
13 >> We can borrow paludis's notion of pbins [1] to generate ebuilds which
14 >> install pre-built content, and the generated ebuilds could have USE
15 >> flags that behave similarly to IUSE_RUNTIME in the sense that changes to
16 >> USE flags will result in different builds of pre-built content being
17 >> installed. A content-hash distfiles layout [2] could serve as a
18 >> convenient way to store separate builds of pre-built content for
19 >> multiple combinations of USE flags, and a generated ebuild would index
20 >> the build by USE flag combination.
21 >>
22 >> Also, for the generated ebuilds, we can generate USE flags to include
23 >> separate SRC_URI downloads for pre-built content to support things like
24 >> FEATURES=split-debug and FEATURES=install-sources.
25 >
26 > Note that all of this can use existing EAPI features, since everything new
27 > would be implemented in an ebuild generator that generates a single
28 > ebuild to index pre-built content from multiple binary package builds.
29 >
30 >> [1] https://paludis.exherbo.org/overview/pbins.html
31 >> [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/756778
34 For generated ebuilds, we'll have a choice to model things as USE flags
35 or sub-packages. For example, content from FEATURES=split-debug and
36 FEATURES=install-sources content might make more sense to model as
37 sub-packages than USE flags. It makes more sense to generate a
38 sub-package when there is a need for the sub-package to have USE flags.
39 For example, a split-debug sub-package can have USE flags which index
40 pre-built content from builds for multiple USE flag combinations.
41 Similar USE flags could be useful for an install-sources sub-package if
42 the source code has patches which are conditional on USE flags.
43 --
44 Thanks,
45 Zac