From: Barry Shaw <baz@×××××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:44:47
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Kurt Lieber wrote:
5
6 | Second, there was some question about how often the tree would be updated.
7 | The GLEP doesn't really specify this, but I think once a year is a
8 | reasonable timeframe.
9 |
10 | Third, many folks want long-term support of these releases. I *don't*
11 | think this is viable and am not willing to personally sponsor this. A
12 core
13 | component of this GLEP is that we will *not* be backporting security
14 fixes.
15 | (at least not as a rule) We will be relying on the versions that the
16 | original authors provide except in very unusual circumstances. The reason
17 | for this is simple -- we don't have the resources to guarantee that we can
18 | backport things (and, more importantly, guarantee that they'll work right
19 | once backported) Suppporting a profile for four or more years almost
20 | guarantees you'll be doing a lot of backporting. I don't plan to
21 | incorporate long-term support as part of this GLEP. That might, however,
22 | be an excellent opportunity for commercial companies with greater finanial
23 | resources than us.
24 |
25
26 My main concern here is that if you've got a core server, which
27 typically has lifetime of 3 to 4 years, you don't want to be
28 reinstalling it every year (in many cases you can't). That said, I
29 agree that its unlikely there are resources to maintain a tree for years
30 on end. As a compromise, if some consideration was given to easing
31 migration, that would be suitable. Given the fact that servers have a
32 very minimal level of software on them anyway, its probably not too much
33 of a big deal.
34
35 |
36 | Finally, the current GLEP doesn't really address how to ensure a minimum
37 | life for all ebuilds in the tree. I'm open to suggestions on this,
38 but the
39 | best idea I've heard so far is using a separate rsync module and removing
40 | the --delete option from the command used to populate it.
41 |
42
43 I like this idea. That way if the end user doesn't want to upgrade, the
44 original ebuild stays in portage and they can stick with that.
45
46 Backporting has been mentioned in Greg k-h's post and I think thats
47 something we want to stay away from. Ebuild maintainers may not have
48 the programming skill necessary to backport fixes from one version of
49 the software to another. The upstream maintainers are the experts in
50 that respect and thats where that decision should stay. In my
51 experience once the upstream maintainer stops maintaining a certain
52 version of the software, migration to the new version is necessary anyway.
53
54 The other downside to backporting is that it causes tonnes of false
55 positives if you do any proactive network scanning. Not a major really,
56 but its one of my pet hates 8)
57
58 | So, at this point, I'm suggesting three changes to the GLEP:
59 |
60 | 1) specify annual updates for the stable tree
61 | 2) replacing the stable keywording stuff with stable profiling stuff
62 | 3) adding a separate rsync module for the stable portage tree (or one for
63 | each release of the stable portage tree)
64 |
65
66 These all sound like good alterations, keeping the GLEP focussed is a
67 sensible idea.
68
69 Baz
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list