From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 23:17:54
1 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Have you tried mcpdf?
4
5 I heard about it now for the first time.
6
7 If I understand correctly, it uses the same library
8 as pdfTK, only a somewhat later version
9 (e.g. with improved unicode handling).
10
11 The main difference seems to be that it does not insist
12 on gcj but apparently should work with any java: I had
13 suspected that it is the library which depends on some
14 gcj internals and not just the front-end which consists
15 just of a few lines, anyway.
16
17 So, indeed, this looks like it should be a drop-in
18 replacement, though I did not check whether the
19 license of the updated library changed.
20
21 Anyway, it would be nice to have it in the tree. ;)
22
23 > but testing with your tricky PDFs
24
25 I do not remember anymore. I just remember that
26 several times, when some deadline approached,
27 I had to resort to pdftk at my institute's Debian
28 (in the lack of a gcj at home), even for simple tasks
29 as merging pdftex output with some scanned PDF pages:
30 neither pdfjam nor poppler did it satisfactory,
31 though I do not remember the reasons.