From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 06:35:33
1 On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:51:44PM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 >
3 > Third, many folks want long-term support of these releases. I *don't*
4 > think this is viable and am not willing to personally sponsor this. A core
5 > component of this GLEP is that we will *not* be backporting security fixes.
6
7 So what would happen for security fixes? Rely on the latest release
8 from upstream to be used instead? This can cause real problems, as a
9 lot of SATA users just found out with the most recent Fedora kernel
10 update due to the security fix. They went with the most recent kernel,
11 which happened to rename their disk drives.
12
13 What is the downside of just backporting the security fixes to the
14 versions marked "stable" (becides developer time)? I really think this
15 is something most people who want a "stable" tree will want to have (if
16 for no other reason than that's how all the other Linux distros do it,
17 and it will take less effort trying to explain why we don't...)
18
19 thanks,
20
21 greg k-h