From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 03:57:52
1 On 1/19/20 10:40 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:16 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This is retarded, stop wasting my time.
7 > There is nothing retarded about shared /home directories. They're
8 > pretty common in the real world.
11 What's retarded is copy/pasting words from last week's buzzword bingo as
12 if they're valid reasons to not use /home for home directories.
13
14 LUKS is a thing, but you don't use it. CIFS is a thing, but you don't
15 use it. Shared home directories are a thing, but you don't use it. Give
16 me one real example of how any of these things cause a problem and I'll
17 change my stance. I don't have a special emotional attachment to /home.
18 I think it's where this stuff should go because (a) home directories are
19 what /home is for, and (b) it doesn't cause any other problems. If (b)
20 isn't true, you win.