From: Alexander Simonov <devil@××××××××××.ua>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News on PHP5 support on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:03:11
1 <цитата от="Stuart Herbert">
2 > We're working to provide support for both PHP4 and PHP5 running on the
3 > same box. At the moment, this work is available in a tarball overlay
4 > [1], along with a number of supporting eselect modules [2],[3],[4]. The
5 > overlay contains new dev-lang/php packages, and PHP extensions under
6 > dev-php4/ and dev-php5 categories.
7 >
8 > The new dev-lang/php package in the overlay replaces dev-php/php,
9 > dev-php/php-cgi, and dev-php/mod_php. The overlay uses a single package
10 > to deliver all three SAPIs. The package is SLOTed, allowing PHP4 and
11 > PHP5 to be installed on the same box at the same time.
12 >
13 > The new dev-lang/php package provides two virtuals:
14 >
15 > * virtual/php - means that the php CLI SAPI is installed
16 > * virtual/httpd-php - means that php-cgi or mod_php is installed
17 >
18 > There are packages in Portage which currently (R)DEPEND on dev-php/php
19 > or dev-php/mod_php. When this overlay has been added to Portage, we'll
20 > need to fix all of these packages to (R)DEPEND on the virtuals instead.
21 >
22 > In the overlay, PHP extensions move from dev-php into dev-php4/ and
23 > dev-php5 categories. Install packages from dev-php4/ if you want to use
24 > them for PHP4, and from dev-php5/ if you want to use them for PHP5. The
25 > category names are provisional; we may go with php4-ext and php5-ext
26 > when we add all of this stuff into the Portage tree.
27 >
28 > We're part-way through adding all the extensions to the overlay.
29 >
30 > The dev-lang/php package installs into /usr/lib/php[45]/, and does not
31 > install the php or php-cgi binaries into /usr/bin. We've written three
32 > modules for eselect, which you can use to make /usr/bin/php et al
33 > symlink either to PHP4 or PHP5 as you wish. The symlinks are not needed
34 > by any of the packages in the overlay.
35 >
36 > PEAR support is next on the list. We will make the overlay work with
37 > the existing dev-php/PEAR-* packages in Portage. dev-php/PEAR-PEAR will
38 > install the 'pear' command; it won't be installed by dev-lang/php (we'll
39 > make dev-lang/php RDEPEND on dev-php/PEAR-PEAR so that pear continues to
40 > be installed by default).
41 >
42 > After that, we have a lot of testing to do, some documentation to write,
43 > and we need to decide on the best way to add these packages into Portage
44 > to replace the existing PHP packages. Nothing has been decided yet, but
45 > it would make sense for the dev-php/php-4* packages and the new
46 > dev-lang/php package to both exist as stable packages for a transitional
47 > period, whilst the masked dev-php/php-5* packages would be dropped in
48 > favour of the dev-lang/php package.
49 >
50 > Once the packages are in the Portage tree, it will take a bit of time to
51 > mark them stable. We hope to have x86 and ppc stable a month or so
52 > after the release of php-5.1.0, but that is an aspiration, not a
53 > commitment.
54 >
55 > To keep up to date with the latest news on this work, follow my blog
56 > postings [5]. The best way to provide feedback is to pop into
57 > #gentoo-apache on irc.freenode.org.
58 >
59 Yes!!!!!
60 You are greate man!!!!
61 Thanks!!!
64 WBR, Alexander Simonov
65 Ukrainian Gentoo Community Coordinator
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list