From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: marduk@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 5 status?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:38:06
1 On Tuesday 29 June 2004 19:04, Eric Olinger wrote:
2 > Hey All,
3 > I'm just wondering whats the status on GLEP 5 [1]. If its still
4 > going to be implemented, what is needed and what can be done to push
5 > it forward. Do we need reference implementations or code changes to
6 > portage.
7 >
8 > [1] http://glep.gentoo.org/glep-0005.html
9
10 GLEP 5 *must* be rejected in its current form.
11
12 Homepage and license are pieces of data that are specific to individual
13 ebuilds, rather than to individual packages. We definitely have packages in
14 the tree today where different versions of the same package are published
15 under different licenses, and I'd be amazed if there aren't packages that
16 have different homepages for different versions.
17
18 Any tools or websites that expect a package to only have one license and one
19 homepage are working on an incorrect assumption, and are publishing
20 inaccurate or misleading information.
21
22 http://packages.gentoo.org/ is one example where this happens right now.
23 Marduk - this needs fixing m8. I assume there is some small risk of legal
24 liability if packages.gentoo.org is publishing the wrong license information
25 for a package ;-)
26
27 If anyone really has enough time to waste on implementing GLEP 5, please come
28 and talk to the recruiters@g.o. There's plenty of ways you can help
29 us to help our users. GLEP 5 is not one of them.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Stu
33 --
34 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
36 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
37
38 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C