From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:49:19
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Grant Goodyear wrote:
5 > Nathan L. Adams wrote: [Thu Nov 03 2005, 07:02:58PM CST]
6 >
8 >>Hash: SHA1
9 >>
10 >>Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
11 >>
12 >>>Read the list of requirements in the GLEP. The plain text solution
13 >>>meets all of them. XML fails on several.
14 >>
15 >>If readability isn't a requirement, your list is wrong.
18 > I would argue that reading raw xml is a lot less fun than reading minimally
19 > marked-up plain text (such as an e-mail).
20
21 Oh good grief! Nobody is arguing that the user should have to read raw XML.
24 >>>| So what are the trade-offs of the 'flat file'? If you store a
25 >>>| migration guide as a 'flat file', its not going to be very readable.
26 >>>
27 >>>Who said anything about storing a migration guide as a flat file? Read
28 >>>the GLEP.
29 >>
30 >>No, *you* need to read my previous response. I was using 'flat file' to
31 >>mean whatever it is you're calling your less-than-GuideXML scheme.
32 >
33 > *Sigh* I think you might be misinterpreting the GLEP. The news items
34 > are likely to be fairly short, such as the "YourSQL" example that's in
35 > the GLEP. The news item would then point to a migration guide that
36 > resides elsewhere, if needed.
37
38 No, I happen to understand the that point. Emerge outputting a short
39 summary is great. But the GLEP should cover the "hey mr. end user, the
40 central repository for errata/full fledged migration guides is here:
41 [insert url]" as well.
44 > The point behind having the news pulled by portage is that the headless
45 > server, for example, would only report news items that are relevant to
46 > that machine. The server's admin could then fire up a web browser on a
47 > desktop machine to read any necessary additional info.
48
49 Great; I'm not against that. Now where does that admin point her web
50 browser? Mailing list archive? GWN archive? The Forums? The stated
51 feedback is that users what a central place for the errata (whether the
52 errata be large or small).
55 >>>| GuideXML is the standard for Gentoo docs for some damn good reasons!
58 > True, but at the same time there's a reason that GLEPs can be written in
59 > restructured text as well as guidexml. I doubt that it's accidental
60 > that almost all GLEPs have been submitted in restructured text rather
61 > than guidexml. (Incidentally, I like our guidexml. I think that it
62 > renders quite well for what we want. I'm not so fond of writing it,
63 > however.)
64 >
65 > That's really beside the point, though. The real point is that plain
66 > text news items are going to be the easiest to create and the easiest to
67 > read on a console screen.
68 >
69 > As for having an errata page, it wouldn't be difficult to write a
70 > program to automatically convert news items to guidexml. I suspect that
71 > ciaranm could even be talked into writing it, if such a page were to
72 > become reality.
73
74 I happen to think that the assumption that the errata are going to be
75 small is a bad one. I think if errata is neccessary in the first place
76 then its going to be something larger than a screen's worth of console
77 output and worth the supposed trouble of GuideXML. So why not approach
78 it from the GuideXML end first, and extract the summary from that?
86 --
87 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list