From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:51:50
1 On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> We aren't going to add USE flags which don't do anything. That topic
4 >> was discussed a thousand times, and rising it once more won't change
5 >> our decision.
6 >>
7 >> Similarly, bash-completion flag will be gone at some point.
8 >
9 > Everyone has bash. Not everyone has systemd.
12 Then why does OpenRC go out of its way to avoid depending on bash?
13 The answer is that not everybody has bash.
14
15 In any case, this has been discussed on -dev before. The reason that
16 the unit files were not made a use flag was that they're just simple
17 text files that don't take much space and don't do anything unless you
18 use systemd. Having a USE flag to trigger their install doesn't have
19 much of a point, and it also means that to switch to systemd you'd
20 have to re-emerge anything that installs a unit file.
21
22 If we went this route we'd end up adding an openrc use flag for
23 anything that sticks files in /etc/init.d, bash-completion, and
24 probably a bunch of other stuff as well.
25
26 If a package is pulling in dependencies that is a different story, but
27 if we're just talking about a text file I think a USE flag is
28 overkill.
29
30 Rich