From: "René 'Necoro' Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proxying and bugzilla
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:47:35

Hi all,

currently I am a maintainer for two packages -- and as a non-gentoo-dev
being proxied by guys who are.

Now a disadvantage of this position are the restricted rights in
bugzilla. In case a bug is filed for one of my maintained packages I
have to ask one of my proxies for each step ("could you mark this as a
dupe?", "could you mark this as fixed?", etc.). This is quite cumbersome
and puts just some load on the devs (which should have been avoided by
the proxy-solution in the first place).

So I am asking whether there would be a solution to allow people like me
to have full bugzilla rights on packages they are in charge for.

Two possibilities come to my mind:

1) Have an implicit restriction, i.e. give them full rights (where
"full" just means: everything they need for handling their bugs), but
make a policy, that they are only allowed to use this for their
packages. In other words: Enforce the correct usage by "legal" ways
instead of teachnically.

This approach is probably easier in terms of bureaucracy but might be
seen as dangerous.

2) Enforce the restriction technically. I do not know how this could be
done in bugzilla - perhaps by having "proxy-herds", i.e. one herd for
each proxied package and only give the user the full rights, if a bug is
assigned to a herd he is a member of.

The disadvantage is here, that there is quite some overhead of managing
a bunch of "proxy-herds".

Some sort of "bugzilla quiz" which needs to be taken by the maintainer
might be useful in both cases.

I'd be glad to hear some other opinions.

- - René