From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=introspection has been unmasked in the tree
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:08:53
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 16 of August 2011 22:14:28 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >> 2011/8/17 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o>:
4 >> > Then why don't you make it a default flag in desktop/gnome profile
5 >> > instead? That way, the embedded users who don't use a desktop profile
6 >> > won't even need to take action to disable the flag.
7 >>
8 >> We didn't do that because the use-case for not enabling introspection
9 >> is a marginal one.
10 >
11 > Ah, use case like KDE, we get it, Nirbheek :D
12 > As soon as it can be globally disabled (with a loss of functionality and
13 > packages availability) I won't complain.
16 Anyone who installs gobject libraries, and wants to use language
17 bindings with them will want introspection. This means
18 python/vala/javascript for now, and *all* languages in the long run.
19 If you use KDE, you simply won't install the various gobject
20 libraries.
21
22 The use-case for disabling introspection globally is if you will never
23 use any gobject language bindings for the next 4-5 years.
26 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
27
28 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team