From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy-level discussion for minimum versions on dependencies
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 18:28:21
1 On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I agree with this sentiment. It's always been my view that the needs of
3 > a package are driven by the package itself, not by the tree.
4 >
5 > Rationale: A package will build and run as long as it's own requirements
6 > are met regardless of what the tree states.
9 ++, and to all that follows.
10
11 I wouldn't go hunting down and bugging devs for every atom that
12 doesn't specify a minimum version - this stuff isn't always easy to
13 find. However, if somebody offers a minimum version I'd consider it a
14 valid bug.
15
16 I think giving the resolver as much information as possible will only
17 tend to reduce issues, especially in a distro like Gentoo where doing
18 things differently is the norm.
19
20 Rich