From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:42:52
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:43:08 -0400
3 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Placing the default USE flags all in the profiles amounts to profile
6 >> duplication where-ever you want to use the ebuilds -> this is
7 >> annoying.
8 >
9 > This is exactly why we have cascading profiles, no?
10 >
11 >> So that I DON'T need to emerge kde-meta only to find that I needed QT
12 >> with opengl support. It's a USE dep; it's not as easily
13 >> representable in a default IUSE format; but it's relatively easy to
14 >> add opengl to QT's default use in a profile and say "KDE requires qt
15 >> with openGL support and most of our QT users are KDE users." There
16 >> exists a qualifier there; that Users exist and provided feedback.
17 >
18 > So you put opengl in a profile package.use for qt. As soon as you
19 > invoke the argument that KDE needs it enabled in Qt, it becomes a
20 > repository-level issue, not an ebuild-level one.
21
22 Er, yes I said that above..
23
24 "but it's relatively easy to add opengl to QT's default use in a profile..."
25
26 Irregardless; Stuart wins ;)
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list