From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] init scripts and custom signals
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:35:33
1 Hi
2
3 It's been brought to my attention that dnsmasq and acpid use start-stop-daemon
4 to send custom signals such as HUP. While this works with baselayout-1.11, it
5 does not work with baselayout-1.12
6
7 The start-stop-daemon-binary has to have either a --start or --stop option.
8 Now I read this as two simple statements.
9 1) I want to start daemon foo
10 2) I want to stop daemon foo
11
12 The aforementioned init scripts want option 3
13 3) I want to stop daemon foo with signal HUP
14 Which is perfectly valid. However, HUP is not a stop signal and they expect it
15 to process the signal and not stop.
16
17 baelayout-1.12 is a bit more strict about things. If you ask something to
18 --stop it stops regardless.
19
20 So, the question now must be, do we allow start-stop-daemon to defy calling
21 logic and NOT stop a daemon? How do we know we're not supposed to stop the
22 daemon based on a custom signal? The answer is we can't. So instead of
23
24 start-stop-daemon --stop -s HUP -p /var/run/dnsmasq.pid
25
26 we need to write
27
28 kill -s HUP $(< /var/run/dnsmasq.pid)
29
30 Thanks
33 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
34 Gentoo Linux Developer