From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman adding "Package-Manager: portage-2.2.20.1" to every single commit
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 23:09:31
1 On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:25:51 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > It does not other the the metadata.dtd file it checks for updates
8 > > and updates itself with. But that is very likely to change with the
9 > > rewrite I have in progress (albeit slowly). I have also seriously
10 > > been contemplating splitting off it's release from the main portage
11 > > package.
14 > Now I remember the conversations. Having repoman rules at the
15 > repository level, local system level, and a few others (I forget where
16 > the thread was). Overlays can have their own rules, and so on. It
17 > doesn't make sense to update portage every time there is a new QA
18 > policy.
21 EXACTLY!
22
23 There will still need to be occasional releases due to the need for
24 additional or changed code. But for trivial changes like deprecating
25 an EAPI or adding a new eclass,... That is all data it can easily
26 download or even get within the git/rsync tree. Then just iterate over
27 the various entries. There will be no need for a new release.
28 --
29 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>