From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] kernel bug reporting policy
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:04:59
1 Hello all,
2
3 I was under the impression that when a user finds a bug in his Gentoo
4 installation, no matter in which package, he should file a bug in our
5 bugzilla.
6
7 Today I found a bug in the vanilla 2.6.8-rc4 kernel and I added a bug
8 for it so people who would encounter the bug could find it and use
9 the attached patch or decide to wait for a new version.
10
11 However, I was told that it is policy to redirect anyone filing a bug
12 on vanilla-sources or development-sources (and maybe some other packages)
13 to upstream because the bugs are definitely not related to anything
14 made by Gentoo developers.
15
16 So I asked myself: why should a Gentoo user first think about where
17 to file a bug report? I think it is or should be a service that we
18 offer to our users if we act as a point of contact for anything they
19 run into while using Gentoo.
20 And if a user doesn't have to think about where to file it; if we
21 just close the bug as WONTFIX and redirect them upstream, then we
22 could be generating more work for ourselves as the default search
23 of bugzilla only includes unresolved bugs, so other users would
24 re-report it.
25
26 Why don't we just keep track of things that are reported by our users,
27 forward things upstream if needed and keep the bugs open until they have
28 been resolved in a new version and that version is available in portage?
29
30 I'm sorry if I am starting a discussion on something that has been
31 discussed before, but I could not find any policy documentation on
32 this.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Maurice.