From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:34:55
1 On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > 3. I think what's important is to keep packages maintained. I consider
4 > maintainership to be a duty, not a privilege. If someone is listed in
5 > metadata.xml, but is not really maintaining the package, that creates a
6 > formal illusion that the package is maintained, and may prevent other
7 > people from stepping up and taking maintenance of that package.
8 >
9 > 4. I suggest that we focus on the above: keeping packages maintained.
10 > Taking packages out of hands of inactive/overworked maintainers is good.
11 > They can always become _more_ active, which is easier if they retain cvs
12 > access. If they make a single commit every 3-6 months, I'm fine with
13 > that as long as things are maintained properly.
14
15 +1000. The point is not to retire developers. To point is to make sure
16 we have a clear picture of what packages are (somewhat actively) being
17 maintained. Perhaps the undertakers project (or some other project)
18 should focus more on package maintenance history than activity
19 history.
20
21 Cheers,
22