From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 14:11:52
1 On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 15:04:34 +0200 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > >>> Do we routinely confirm that any site we list in SRC_URI has
5 > >>> permission to redistribute files? That seems like a slippery
6 > >>> slope.
7 > >>
8 > >> We don't, and for a package that comes with a license (as the vast
9 > >> majority of packages does) it normally isn't necessary.
10 >
11 > > Why isn't this necessary? How do you know the person issuing the
12 > > license actually has the right to issue it?
13 >
14 > Don't you think there is a difference between downloading a package
15 > that has a known upstream and that is also carried by other distros,
16 > and downloading a license-less package from a random location on the
17 > internet?
18
19 If downloaded files are the same (e.g. sha512 hash matches), what's
20 the difference?
21
22 Best regards,
23 Andrew Savchenko