From: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Based Rescue CD
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:19:34
1 Has anyone made or considered making a bootable Gentoo Based Rescue CD
2 (based on the LiveCD and Install CD work)? I think this could be a great
3 idea and would actually like to give it a try, but I don't want to
4 duplicate work and would love the input of others if they are
5 interested.
6
7 I haven't thought through this all the way yet, but some of the things
8 that I think would make this truly powerful would include:
9
10 a kernel compiled with emergency situations in mind (i.e. write support
11 for NTFS, even if it isn't super stable) (maybe even a few compiled
12 kernels selectable at boot, if need be.
13
14 With portage you should be able to setup a nice sized ramdisk that would
15 allow people to even emerge tools they might need that aren't on the
16 disk for their rescue operation.
17
18 Gentoo offers a very modern (cutting-edge) dist which means that it has
19 the most useful tools for most situations.
20
21 Etc......
22
23 Any input regarding other attempts or general input would be
24 appreciated.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Sean
28
30 Sean P. Kane
31 spkane@××××××××××.com
32 Lead Infrastructure Architect
33 Genomatica, Inc.
35 "When we destroy something man has created we call it vandalism......
36 When we destroy something that Gaia has created we call it progress."
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list