From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: logrotate
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:17:39
1 On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:52:44 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
2 <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3 | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | | Files in /etc are expensive in terms of sysadmin time. The only
5 | | things in /etc should be things that are both necessary and likely
6 | | to be modified by a sysadmin.
7 |
8 | So we should stop installing example files, too?
9
10 Into /etc? Yes. Stick them in /usr/share/doc. If a package needs a file
11 in /etc, try to install a file which is generally suitable for most
12 people with the correct name.
13
14 It's Gentoo policy (yup, this is one of the few things we have 'real'
15 policy about) that packages should, where possible, work 'out of the
16 box'. We get this by installing a best attempt at a configuration file
17 into the correct location. Cluttering up a CONFIG_PROTECTed area with
18 bogus .example files merely makes more work for the end user.
21 Ciaran McCreesh
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list