From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Is || ( Atom... ) broken?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 04:39:40
1 Greg Turner posted on Mon, 07 Jul 2014 16:42:08 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > *Indeed, I'd estimate I often have to wait a half-hour on my 32GB
4 > workstation to get a plan from emerge -DuavN @world, so for me that's a
5 > bigger problem than anything else about portage right now.
6
7 Wow. I didn't realize and to some extent had forgotten how bad things
8 had gotten, as I (1) run an SSD-based tree now, and (2) set backtrack=0
9 so portage does its best only one time thru and spits out the result,
10 allowing me to at least see what it's doing in reasonable time, such that
11 I can resolve the thing manually if I need to.
12
13 I haven't had to resort to --nodeps yet, but I do often emerge subsets of
14 the whole, reducing the number of updates until I have a much smaller
15 update set to work with, then sometimes run --tree and/or even go look at
16 individual ebuild deps, to see why something's getting pulled in. And I
17 guess running no-multilib means I bypass at least some of the issues,
18 too. That and a USE=-* base probably help a lot, but I've no idea
19 whether the fully negated @system so there's no system set to deal with
20 helps or hurts.
21
22 But from the sound of things, default backtrack=10, multilib, full
23 @system set and default profile use, on spinning rust, is getting all but
24 intolerable now. =:^(
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman