From: "Christopher Díaz Riveros" <chrisadr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Personal Gentoo Installer project pre-alpha release
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 18:58:18
1 Good day devs, and users:
2
3 It's a pleasure to announce that my personal project is on a pre-alpha
4 stage. Let me explain some details:
5
6 'installer' is the code-name for my project, I'm preparing it as my
7 thesis project here in Perú. Right now 'installer' is on a prototype
8 phase, but is ready for some external testing to receive some feedback.
9
10 installer has two sub-commands:
11
12 beginner: which is a tutorial-like program that explains all
13 the required steps to install a Gentoo system in a friendly
14 manner, it also enforces the reading of the Gentoo Handbook.
15
16 generate: produces a stageX tarball. StageX contains some of
17 the needed files to install and configure Gentoo linux, right
18 now these files include:
19
20 /etc/portage/*
21 /etc/timezone
22 /etc/locale.gen
23 /var/lib/portage/world
24
25 Some of the TODOs include:
26
27 -Implement the --tui option, which will show all the beginner tutorial
28 on a ncurses based terminal user interface. (This feature may or may
29 not be finished, depending on the previous feedback)
30
31 -Create the ebuild to be able to download and install it from l
32 ayman or even the main tree.
33
34 -Add expert sub-command, which will guide a more experimented user with
35 some notations during the installation phase.
36
37 -Test and add many validations
38
39 If you like, you can download/clone/fork it from:
40
41 https://github.com/ChrisADR/installer
42
43 Please keep in mind that you'll need to install 'installer' both in the
44 host and in the new Gentoo system if you want to test it, you can do it
45 by downloading the tarball and running setup.py install.
46
47 wget https://github.com/ChrisADR/installer/archive/v0.1.0-pre-alpha.ta
48 r.gz
49 tar xf v0.1.0-pre-alpha.tar.gz
50 cd v0.1.0-pre-alpha.tar.gz/
51 python setup.py install
52
53 Installer is designed to work with Python 3.4 (since that's the stable
54 version right now).
55
56 Thank you for your time and help.
57
58 Best regards,
59 --
60 Christopher Díaz Riveros
61 Gentoo Linux Developer
62 GPG Fingerprint: E517 5ECB 8152 98E4 FEBC 2BAA 4DBB D10F 0FDD 2547