From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74: Full-tree verification using Manifest files
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:59:56
1 On 2017.10.26 21:12, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > After a week of hard work, I'd like to request your comments
5 > on the draft of GLEP 74. This GLEP aims to replace the old
6 > tree-signing
7 > GLEPs 58 and 60 with a superior implementation and more complete
8 > specification.
9 >
10 > The original tree-signing GLEPs were accepted a few years back but
11 > they
12 > have never been implemented. This specification, on the other hand,
13 > comes with a working reference implementation for the verification
14 > algorithm. I expect to finish the update/generation part in a few
15 > days,
16 > then work on additional optimizations (threading, incremental
17 > verification, incremental updates).
18 >
19 > ReST: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.rst
20 > HTML: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.html
21 > impl: https://github.com/mgorny/gemato/
22 >
23 > Full text following for inline comments.
24 >
25 [snip lots of hard work]
26 >
27 > --
28 > Best regards,
29 > Michał Górny
34 Michał,
35
36 Thank you for the hard work.
37
38 This GLEP implies that users need to have the entire repository to validate
39 and authenticate, if I understand it correctly.
40
41 For example
42 PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude=<list_of_<package/categories>"
43 wil still work but the resulting tree could not be authenticaed. as
44 the top level signature would fail.
45
46 The manifests would still work correctly because they only apply to
47 the directory containing them. Pruning the repository at
48 rsync time will therefore remove the manifents and the files that they cover.
49
50 Is that understanding correct?
53 Regards,
54