From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 19:52:08
1 On 3/11/2022 13:25, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 [snip]
6 > The new workflow with pkgcheck was announced at the end of 2019:
7 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/12/a-better-ebuild-workflow-with-pure-git-and-pkgcheck
8 >
9 > It's been 2 years, I think we can bring everyone into the fold here.
10
11 I've searched my -dev archives for part of that URL, and the only hits I am
12 getting is this e-mail thread. Was this URL previously shared on this
13 mailing list or another? I do not track the Gentoo Blogs, so unless
14 something is shared to the mailing lists, I will likely miss it.
15
16 That said, I will admit I am uncomfortable with post-commit, pre-push
17 validation. I get that git is vastly different, and vastly superior, to
18 CVS. Get it right the first time, and you don't have to worry about fixing
19 it later -- CVS teaches you that very well, and it still works well for git
20 workflows. Going back into git post-commit to fix things is still something
21 I need to learn more about, as my git-fu is still pretty amateurish beyond
22 the common basics. Especially when dealing with kernel patch maintenance
23 and maintaining lots of small, discrete changes that kernel upstream prefers.
26 Joshua Kinard
27 Gentoo/MIPS
28 kumba@g.o
29 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
30 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
31
32 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
33 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
34
35 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic