From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:25:47
1 On 4/23/19 2:03 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > We have two eclasses with almost-identical functions for handling
3 > tmpfiles.d entries:
4 >
5 > 1. systemd.eclass
6 >
7 > a. systemd_dotmpfilesd
8 > b. systemd_newtmpfilesd
9 > c. systemd_tmpfiles_create
10 >
11 > 2. tmpfiles.eclass
12 >
13 > a. dotmpfiles
14 > b. newtmpfiles
15 > c. tmpfiles_process
16 >
17 > The do/new functions are basically identical, while the create/process
18 > functions differ only in the fact that the one from tmpfiles.eclass
19 > supports opentmpfiles as well. Why do we have both? Couldn't the
20 > systemd.eclass ones be implemented in terms of the tmpfiles.eclass ones,
21 > and then deprecated (in favor of tmpfiles.eclass itself) in newer EAPIs?
22 >
23 > Or am I missing something?
24
25 Note that systemd.eclass is lighter on dependencies, which is why I
26 chose it for the solution to bug 490676 [1] and bug 643386 [2] in the
27 sys-apps/portage ebuilds.
28
29 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/490676
30 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/643386