From: "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] iconv and libintl virtuals
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:33:02
1 On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 18:02 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Okay now that virtual/x11 introduced the new generation's virtuals, the
3 > decision of waiting to have virtuals for iconv and libintl can be considered
4 > concluded, and we might start adding them, right? :D
5 >
6 > Proposed virtuals for now would be:
7 >
8 > virtual/iconv: || ( sys-libs/glibc dev-libs/iconv )
9 > virtual/libintl: || ( sys-libs/glibc sys-devel/gettext )
10 >
11 > The deps of programs using libintl would then be
12 >
13 > RDEPEND="nls? ( virtual/libintl )"
14 > DEPEND="nls? ( sys-devel/gettext )"
15 >
16 > for iconv instead simply add virtual/iconv to RDEPEND; note that most of the
17 > packages do depend on libintl but don't on libintl, as that is pulled in
18 > mostly as a dep of gettext... there are though some packages that actually
19 > uses libiconv directly, such as glib and mpd iirc.
20 >
21 > If this is ok, I won't ask any maintainer to add that stuff by himself (well
22 > if somebody wants, I'll thank him for sure), I'll take care of updating the
23 > deps as they are needed.
24 >
25 > Embedded team: this would probably be a good test for NLS support on uclibc,
26 > if you want, please add me (or alt) as CC if you'll ever have to file bugs of
27 > NLS not being correctly disabled with --disable-nls, as I found quite a few
28 > programs taking that bad.
29 >
30 > Thanks to everybody who cared to read this mail.
31
32 How will you deal with the packages that build against glibc iconv but
33 not against the separated?
34 There used to be a lot of issues here, which caused me to hard-mask
35 iconv ( still should be hard masked for most/all glibc-based systems )
36 due to the split and mainline packages running out of sync.
39 This situation may be fixed now, but I'm more likely to believe that it
40 just hasn't cropped up "Just yet" ( yep, I'm cynical here )
43 //Spider
46 begin .signature
47 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
49 end