From: Phil Richards <news@××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc ebuild's, downgrades, deletion etc
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:43:42
1 Ok, I have sys-devel/gcc-3.2.2-r4 installed.
2 It was at some point unmasked.
3 I installed it.
4
5 My system is now trying to downgrade me to 3.2.2-r1 even though
6 I use --upgrade-only, and I'm guessing that the reason why is that
7 not only is 3.2.2-r3 onwards masked, but 3.2.2-r4.ebuild has been
8 deleted. And, in fact, all reference to it in ChangeLog has gone.
9
10 *Please* *please* *please* don't do this.
11
12 If there is a problem with gcc-3.2.2-r4 by all means mask it;
13 preferably put some comment in the package.mask file *why* you are
14 masking it ("gcc with optimizations" doesn't tell me why it was
15 unmasked and then masked).
16
17 Then I can decide whether or not I should downgrade.
18
19 As it is I have no practical choice, nor any information on which to
20 make that choice.
21
22 As far as I can tell it is the deletion of the ebuild that forces
23 the downgrade - I am also concerned that a version that was visible
24 to ~x86 users has now been wiped from the world as if it never existed;
25 this leaves the possibility of a new, and different -r4 being released,
26 with no tracability of versions.
27
28 If nothing else, a comment in the ChangeLog explaining what was going
29 on would be good - that way you could have zapped the ebuild and people
30 would have had some idea what was going on.
31
32 And then I wouldn't have whinged, and the world would be a happier
33 place. Even if only slightly.
34
35 phil
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list