From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ICC Profile
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:02:15
1 On 23:24 Thu 17 Jul , Adam Stylinski wrote:
2 > There are very few pitfalls, none of which I see as real killers.
3 > These include:
4 >
5 > 1.) Closed source compiler: Yes this stands against what we believe,
6 > and yes by closing their source they're protecting the trade secrets
7 > of their architecture. It also could be more difficult to debug,
8 > although that's highly unlikely, they have the idb (intel debugger)
9 > which works very much like gdb.
10
11 Doesn't really matter, although we could never move to it as the default
12 without violating our social contract.
13
14 > 2.) Linking issues: So far it's pretty versatile, but it doesn't
15 > always cooperate with gcc compiled apps. It may be a good strategy to
16 > make the troublesome apps which won't compile with ICC compile with
17 > ICC.
18
19 Pretty sure you didn't mean ICC twice here, but sure.
20
21 > Pro's:
22 >
23 > 1.) Bloody fast machine code. Intel obfuscates their architecture but
24 > they give back to the community as much as possible to make their
25 > hardware marketable toward the open source sysadmin, developer, etc
26 > etc. Their drivers are open and they develop for the kernel
27 > constantly. This cooperation leads me to believe that they would
28 > assist a team of developers in making 100% icc compatible code.
29
30 OK. This involves upstream projects more than us, though.
31
32 > 2.) Bloody fast compilation time. In my experience the compiler works
33 > much faster even with heavy optimization.
34 >
35 > 3.) Takes full advantage of SSE enabled hardware. SIMD instructions
36 > are quite useful, code is extremely vectorized.
37
38 Sure, sure, speed is nice.
39
40 > 4.) will project gentoo toward the power user more, helps the gentoo
41 > image, and overall will make linux a more professional operating
42 > system (and a quite competitive alternative to something like a
43 > SPARC+Solaris configuration).
44
45 I don't buy any parts of this argument, although the rest of your email
46 is pretty good.
47
48 > This would also make cluster farms and science application more
49 > respectful toward the gentoo community. The academic and research
50 > world already uses ICC to compile their apps for the sake of speed.
51 > The interprocedural optimizations for both the fortran and c/c++
52 > compilers make it a must.
53
54 Yes, ICC is nice. And people can already use it easily within Gentoo for
55 performance-critical apps.
56
57 > 5.) It's free, albeit a commercial product. As gentoo is entirely
58 > non-profit, there is no restriction when it comes to licensing. The
59 > binaries won't be sold for the intel-compiled livecd, and the compiler
60 > itself with a fetch restriction allows the user to legally register
61 > for their free non-commercial license.
62
63 OK, so we can't sell icc-compiled software in our Gentoo store, so the
64 releases would always remain built with gcc.
67 Thanks,
68 Donnie
69
70 Donnie Berkholz