From: Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us>
To: multilib@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some multilib-minimal enhancements [5/6]: add frob to control phase parallelization
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 02:55:42
1 On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Very limited usefulness, a lot of extra complexity. We'd rather work on
3 > making eclasses simpler.
4
5 Sorry to beat a potentially dead horse, but many days later, I still
6 can't bring myself to agree with this, at least, not with respect to
7 src_compile.
8
9 The patch to the eclass is trivial and easily understood. The
10 MULTILIB_PARALLEL_PHASES interface seems intuitive, just name the
11 phases you want parallel-ized in the string... Where's the
12 complexity?
13
14 If end-users would rather not risk it, they can set MAKEOPTS=-j1. If
15 ebuild authors suspect that their particular ebuilds will have
16 parallel build problems, they can simply do nothing, and their
17 multilib-minimal-based ebuild would be non-abi-parallel. It all seems
18 pretty reasonable to me.
19
20 As for usefulness -- if someone wants to sit around and wait for three
21 dev-qt/qtwebkit compiles in a row to complete, one-at-a-time, then I
22 guess it's not useful to them. Personally, it'd be useful to me. I
23 can't imagine I'm the only person who feels that way.
24
25 -gmt