From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: pkg_{pre,post}inst misusage
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:23:31
1 Jason Stubbs posted <200512240406.05350.jstubbs@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 04:06:05 +0900:
3
4 >> You are /sure/ the new code won't screw anything of that sort up, right?
5 >> Maybe that's the reason nobody seems to have been around to know about.
6 >> It just sounds like it /could/ be dangerous to me. For some reason, I
7 >> don't like the idea of something that could hose a system that badly! =8^\
8 >
9 > *Please* don't tell me you run ~arch.
10
11 Well, I do, plus some stuff from package.mask like gcc-4.x and the
12 associated binutils and glibc stuff.
13
14 OTOH, I have long run a working and a backup snapshot version of the
15 system portions of my system (everything that packages normally touch),
16 for this very reason -- I'm running unstable, so I should be prepared to
17 boot to the backup if the main system gets hosed, either by my
18 fat-fingering or that of someone else.
19
20 Still, the last glibc upgrade was more "exciting" than I had anticipated,
21 even if DO say if I wanted boring and reliable, I'd be doing household
22 appliances, not computers. <g> (I'm proud to say I handled it without
23 having to resort to a reboot or the backups, tho... if only because I
24 happened to have an mc instance running in another vt at the time, and I
25 was able to use it to restore enough symlinks manually, to read the
26 documentation, figure out what happened, and restore the others by copying
27 them out of the binpkg.)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list