From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RPM installer for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:08:01
1 Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 26 August 2003 21:53, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I remember using a program in Debian called 'Alien'. It would convert
5 >>>rpm's into .deb, .tar.gz, or convert to .deb install the package and
6 >>>remove the .deb it created. It could probably be extended to do the same
7 >>>to create .ebuild's.
8 >>>
9 >>>I'll download the sources and take a look.
10 >>
11 >>Yes, but can Alien install dependencies using Portage? That would be the
12 >>aim of this project.
13 >
14 > rpms and debs have dependency information, it must be available at some point
15 > during the conversion process (it's transferred between rpm <-> deb). So it
16 > should be trivial to build the {P,R}DEPEND info from that to create a simple
17 > ebuild.
18 > The conversion process can ask the category, or default to something sensible
19 > like app-converted maybe ?
20
21 I was thinking something like app-rpm, but yes.
24 Andrew Gaffney
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list