From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:31:40
1 On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > Well, we could also get rid of issues with clashing USE flags by getting
3 > rid of USE flags and offering monolithic binary packages with almost
4 > every compatible feature enabled by default.
5
6 I'm not suggesting that we get rid of options - only that we have
7 simplified ones for those who don't need them. You can get all the
8 benefits of Gentoo without tweaking every other kernel parameter.
9
10 That's no different from having a desktop profile/etc. The value of
11 Gentoo is the /ability/ to tweak anything and everything, not the
12 /necessity/ to do so. We already offer genkernel - why not a package
13 that basically runs it with a more comprehensive configuration and
14 installs the kernel?
15
16 Rich