From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: mal@×××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building binary packages for another system
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:44:22
1 >(...)
2 > All I need to do in addition to this, is have a second make.conf on my
3 > desktop pc, with USE and compiler settings for the laptop. I simply
4 > switch to the laptop's make.conf when I build packages for it.
5
6 Well, the problem with this is shared libaries etc that might differ on
7 the two systems.
10 > There is however a problem that this setup doesn't address.
11 > If I build, (for example), xchat, on my desktop box, using the laptop
12 > make.conf, it will link the binary to a gnome library that exists on my
13 > desktop. This is even though I have -gnome in the laptop's make.conf
14 > USE variable.
15 >(...)
16
17 Well, I believe that the right way to do this is to have a chroot on your
18 faster computer where that chroot is insync with your laptop-system. That
19 way you will not get this problem nor a few other that is easily achived
20 when one tries to optimize for different architechtures/models in the same
21 build-tree.
22
23 How to make a chroot is quite well described in the
24 Gentoo-install-documentation. Replace the download and extraction of
25 tar-archive with copy system from laptop to chroot-dir on your faster
26 computer. ("rsync -e ssh" with some more parameters, might work well.)
27
28 Then if you compile all your packages on your faster computer, cp the
29 package to your laptop and install them, it'll all work fine, I hope ;)
30
31 Good luck!
32
33 Christian