From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Increasing contributions and interest via personal project aggregation
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 05:54:07
1 I hate gmail
2
3 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
4 From: Alec Warner <antarus@×××××××××××.com>
5 Date: May 11, 2007 10:50 PM
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Increasing contributions and interest via
7 personal project aggregation
8 To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
11 On 5/8/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
12 > Hi all,
13 >
14 > I'm sure I'm not the only one with a number of projects I'll never get
15 > to, but I'd really like them to happen anyway. I suggest we create some
16 > sort of page that aggregates all of these personal projects together, so
17 > anyone can browse through them and look for stuff that sounds fun.
18 >
19 > The goal is to increase contributions from outside by giving them a
20 > ready list of projects of all sizes and difficulty levels to work on,
21 > projects that go beyond what happens at Bugday. Further, it could also
22 > help current Gentoo developers who are bored or have lost interest in
23 > what they're doing by helping them to find somewhere new to contribute.
24 >
25 > A prototype with just my projects is at
26 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~dberkholz/proj/
27 >
28 > Thanks for your comments!
29 > Donnie
34 I expect to have this implemented by next week.
35
36 The premise is each dev writes some ideas down in
37 ~/public_html/ideas.xml, yes it's xml, cry me a river. It makes it really
38 easy to transform in a nice shiny webpage for people to view.
39
40 A sample entry is at
41 http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/ideas/ideas.xml?passthru=1
42
43 Postprocessed it would look something like:
44 http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/ideas/ideas-index.xml
45
46 I have a script that will basically combine everyones idea.xml file
47 into 1 big index that will get copied to the webnodes (just like
48 devaway) and get served there.
49
50 Things that need to be finished:
51 Finalize the xsl for the transform, make the html less ugly.
52 Finalize the ideas.dtd
53 Confirm that CVS is a bad place for ideas.xml files
54 Finish up the cronjob and bribe someone in infra to turn it on
55 Give the xsl and dtd's to Neysx and bribe him to commit them to cvs.
56 Maybe write some xsl to do blog-like pager stuff if we get a lot of
57 ideas (too many to fit on a single page).
58
59 The dtd and a custom guide.xsl are also in my webspace in the ideas/
60 directory, if anyone is interested in looking.
61
62 -Alec
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list