From: Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:13:55
1 Hi Mike,
2
3 On 31-Mar-07, at 2:21 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > not really, why dont you apply some of your logic:
5 > - you are not wanted as an official Gentoo developer ... the past
6 > clearly
7 > shows this
8 > - the official package manager of Gentoo would need to be
9 > completely "in-house" with respect to control, direction, etc...
10 > - "in-house" would require every one who is control of the package
11 > manager to
12 > be a Gentoo developer
13 > - in order for you to gain @gentoo.org again, we'd need either a
14 > complete
15 > flush of developer blood who would accept you or you to change
16 > yourself ...
17 > neither of which are realistic
18 >
19 > so let's put this all together shall we:
20 > you are in full control of paludis, you will not be a Gentoo
21 > developer,
22 > thereforce paludis will not be the official Gentoo package manager
23
24 The logic is flawed. I don't understand why Gentoo can't switch to
25 paludis so long as there are "in-house" Gentoo developers ready to
26 maintain and support it.
27
28 <snip>
29 > "emerge" is a brand name for Gentoo and while you can complain
30 > about lack of
31 > features all you want, dropping portage and installing a different
32 > package
33 > manager with a completely different interface will surely causes a
34 > huge pita
35 > for everyone
36
37 It is a rather trivial issue to wrap paludis or pkgcore commands to
38 their "emerge" equivalents. As discussed before on the thread, mere
39 command-line compatibility is not an issue at all. If a switch is
40 made to a new package, I am sure enough steps will be taken to ensure
41 that the process is as transparent as possible, and most users will
42 not even notice the difference; except of course the immediate benefits.
43
44 Cheers,
45 --
46 Anant