From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 13:54:30
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:51 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I removed virtual/daemontools from virtual/init because it doesn't
6 > appear to be an init process; it is just a service manager.
7 >
8 > Here is a list of the rdepends in my proposed virtual/init with
9 > comments.
10 >
11 > kernel_linux? (
12 > || (
13 > sys-apps/sysvinit
14 > # If I add an RDEPEND to sysvinit for sys-apps/openrc and remove
15 > # the rdepend on sysvinit from sys-apps/openrc, it will line up
16 > # sys-apps/sysvinit with the other inits below.
17 > # See below for why it is important that this one is first in
18 > # RDEPEND.
19 > sys-apps/systemd
20 > # This blocks sysvinit if the sysvinit-utils use flag is on,
21 > # which it is by default.
22 > # If you turn off the use flag, you get the same arrangement
23 > # you have with openrc right now.
24 > sys-apps/openrc
25 > # If I add a sysvinit-utils use flag here, but do *NOT*
26 > # force it on, it wouldn't remove sysvinit, so they could
27 > # co-exist and you would have to switch via the boot loader.
28 > # In fact, they already do co-exist. you have openrc-init
29 > # and openrc-shutdown on your system if you have openrc
30 > # installed.
31 > sys-process/runit
32 > # This one has an rdepend on openrc because it uses
33 > # openrc in its boot sequence even if you don't use it as
34 > # pid 1.
35 > # If you are not planning to use runit as pid 1, you would
36 > # need to set up the init you want to use with it (upstream
37 > # runit doesn't care which one you use, so I don't think I
38 > # should either) to stay around by
39 > # using something like:
40 > # emerge --noreplace init-app
41 > # to add it to the world file.
42 > )
43 > )
44 > kernel_FreeBSD? (
45 > sys-freebsd/freebsd-bin
46 > )
47 >
48 > Another reason for virtual/init is, if I drop the
49 > sys-apps/sysvinit rdepend from sys-apps/openrc, sysvinit will not be
50 > installed by default any longer, so I would want to add this virtual
51 > to the base profile with sysvinit listed first to make sure nothing is
52 > broken. Mike, I don't see how this would conflict with systemd.
53
54 Sorry, but this virtual still seems a bit pointless to me. You could
55 accomplish the same thing with an optional dependency expression in
56 sys-apps/openrc.
57
58 A virtual package is not the right solution here.