From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kumba@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI stored in metadata.xml (was: Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:37:36
1 Hi,
2
3 sorry, if this post doubles some other posts already done by others...I
4 wrote it during a journey and haven't catched yet with the discussion.
5
6 Kumba <kumba@g.o>:
7
8 > Kumba wrote:
9 > >
10 > > I was talking to Alec last night in -dev (yes, I'm still alive),
11 > > and I tossed out the idea of using metadata.xml instead of mangling
12 > > the ebuild filename or even sticking it as the first line in the
13 > > ebuild (as a hashbang or something gentoo-specific, for example).
14 >
15 > Fleshing out more (And to solicit more thought on this idea --
16 > insane?).
17
18 Thanks for backing your initial thoughs with some more substance,
19 although I see some fundamental problems.
20
21 > Would, to specify them as EAPI=2 in metadata.xml, be encoded as (just
22 > an example -- suggest other formats):
23
24 In my eyes metadata.xml should contain only non-essential
25 informational data. The description of a local USE flag in metadata.xml
26 is ok, as that text is not really essential for ebuild operation. I
27 remember before EAPI 1 that having a default USE flag was some obscure
28 operation in package.use.default. A user/developer could be completely
29 clueless about that feature and annoyed because some USE flag is pulled
30 in he did not want. Having all sourcing/install/processing information
31 near or inside the ebuild makes it easier (I know we still have
32 use.mask and the like). Now your proposal moves essential (to the
33 package manager, where USE flag descriptions are not) metadata out of
34 the ebuild.
35 What if a submitted ebuild to Bugzilla or by mail comes in? Without
36 any special surrounding information ("Hey this ebuild is EAPI 5") you
37 would have to look up in the PMS which EAPI is appropriate or wonder
38 about repoman's warnings when trying to commit (and I know people who
39 use --force quite often). So apart from having the EAPI information in
40 the ebuild name or inside it there are no feasible options to store
41 it. Though I must confess that a user submitted ebuild could strip
42 parts of the name in his submission thus destroying that EAPI
43 information, too.
44
45 V-Li
48 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
49 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
50
51 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>