From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] nVidia - documentation addendum
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:07:12
1 Guys,
2
3 never mind the email I sent earlier regarding nVidia drivers. I found
4 Christian Zander's document in English on your site, and I contacted him.
5 He told me that turning off rivafb framebuffer support in the kernel helps
6 resolve the error in initializing NVdriver module. So I turned it off,
7 and without this framebuffer, X came up at a good resolution, like it
8 should have.
9
10 If you recall, I was getting module initialization error for NVdriver
11 kernel module, which was breaking the "nvidia" in X.
12
13 So, in your Desktop Configuration Guide, where you talk about setting up
14 X, and talk about an addendum for NVIDIA owners (Code listings 8 thru 10),
15 PLEASE add an "Important" or a "Warning" that X will probably not start
16 with the new NVIDIA drivers, unless rivafb framebuffer support in the
17 kernel is disabled. Either the module should be removed, or, if rivafb
18 support is compiled into the kernel, it can be turned off using
19 "video=riva:off" as one of the kernel boot parameters.
20
21 I lost some sleep over this, so if you add this, it might save other
22 Nvidia users some time.
23
24 Christian's credit for communicating the solution of this to me.
25
26 Best,
27 Denis