From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers and glib-kernel-headers?
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:15:05
1 On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 03:41, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 06 February 2004 08:29 pm, Kumba wrote:
3 > > I think there is some thought on LKML to resolve this finally in 2.6, by
4 > > creating a split in the kernel headers, separating out a sanitized set
5 > > of user-space headers and headers intended exclusively for the kernel.
6 > > No idea when this idea might be implemented in 2.6....it might become a
7 > > 2.7 feature.
8 >
9 > i think in the first few test's of 2.6.0 there was a couple of threads that
10 > actually had good things in them about producing a user-space API ... i dont
11 > remember the guy's name, but i saw one post where he cleaned up the API for
12 > some driver as a 'proof of concept' dealie ...
15 Adrian Bunk did a cleanup, but as always there was the negative factor
16 on LKML, which shot his stuff totally down. I am not sure if anybody
17 else have done this.
18
19 There is also a project for 2.6 sanitized headers (like the RH thing),
20 but I heard it is rather a butchering - cannot comment myself though.
21
22 > but like kumba said, i think the end result was that they want to do this, but
23 > it's going to happen in 2.7 (2.8 for most of us)
26 They have always said they want to do this - even 6-8 months ago when
27 I started a thread about cdrecord. It is however very low priority
28 (and if you really want my opinion, its more an excuse if pressed into
29 and corner than anything else).
34 Martin Schlemmer
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
36 Cape Town, South Africa