From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 14:36:53
1 On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 02:42:59PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Aaron has marked tons of important and useful Python 2.7 packages for removal:
5 >
6 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=d85e166dd999c354a5346fbb57aaaa68cc6f38ac
7 >
8 > There are quite a few useful packages in here.
9 >
10 > Can we not do this prematurely? I've revered this commit until such a
11 > thing an be appropriately agreed upon. Many of those packages are
12 > actively maintained upstream packages. abcde, beets, and tahoe-lafs
13 > immediately jump out.
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 > Jason
19 You have obviously not read the relevant commit msg, reviewed the already
20 existing thread on -dev, or attempted to ask (and await a response) relevant
21 questions.
22
23 Jumping to conclusions does not help anyone.
24
25 <@zx2c4> that was supposed to be a || ( ... )
26 <@zx2c4> but for whatever reason the maintainer forgot that
27 <@zx2c4> so im going to correct that and remove eyeD3 from the list<@zx2c4> and unmask it
28 <@zx2c4> b-man: sound good?
29 <@zx2c4> slashbeast: woah look at d85e166dd999c354a5346fbb57aaaa68cc6f38ac
30 <@zx2c4> it's ... a lot of packages
31 <@zx2c4> hey removing beets too? thats not cool
32 <@zx2c4> and pp?
33 <@zx2c4> um
34 <@zx2c4> actually, this is ridiculous
35
36 So, clearly, you did not read the commit msg or review the thread. Magically,
37 you were actually going to *fix* a package and then got overwhelmed with how
38 many of your favorite pkgs were on the list.
39
40 Don't be lazy. Others are working to fix them and keep them around.
43 Cheers,
44 Aaron