From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:20:54
1 On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 06:45:01PM +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
2 > We could start a public wiki displaying all herds and projects. It would
3 > be great to add some low level docs, herds/project goals, ideas and so.
4 > Even the users could be allowed to edit and share information.
5
6 I would personally welcome additional documentation, but if we're going to
7 add an official Wiki for Gentoo, we're basically splitting the documentation
8 development on many sides.
9
10 What used to be a (forced) monopoly for GuideXML becomes a set of GuideXML,
11 RST and Wiki. Although I have indeed read that the goal of the documents
12 differ, we are placing a boundary on what GDP should do and shouldn't.
13
14 We have already received many bugs for documentation in /proj/* which is
15 not GDPs. I had no issue with this as I hoped this would be a transient
16 state where the documentation is eventually handed over to the GDP so that
17 both the project /and/ GDP can further maintain the documents.
18
19 A wiki is nice, but don't forget that it only allows for online
20 documentation editing. I am one of those devs who develops his
21 documentation mostly off-line. There is also no quality assurance over a
22 wiki and not that many wikis have decent versioning tools (or they have them
23 but they're really awkward to use).
24
25 The Java team already uses the gentoo-wiki.com infrastructure, indeed an
26 unofficial wiki for official documentation.
27
28 Wkr,
29 Sven Vermeulen
32 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org